Military Honors Eligibility
Who is eligible for Military Honors?
- Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve (National Guard or Reserves).
- Former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
- Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
- Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
Who is not eligible for Military Honors?
- Any person separated from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions or whose character of service results in a bar to veterans benefits.
- Any person who was ordered to report to an induction station, but was not actually inducted into military service.
- Any person discharged from the Selected Reserve prior to completing one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service for reasons other than a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
- Any person that committed or was convicted of a Federal or State capital crime, or sentenced to death or life imprisonment.
How do I establish veteran eligibility?
- The preferred method is the DD Form 214, NGB Form 22, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. If the DD Form 214 is not available, any discharge document showing other than dishonorable service can be used. The DD Form 214 may be obtained by filling out a Standard Form 180 and sending it to:National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132
Phone: (314) 801-0800
FAX: (314) 801-9201
- Your request must state that it is for internment purposes.
- The Standard Form 180 may be obtained from the National Records Center or downloaded online at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html.
Is anyone else eligible to receive Military Honors?
Yes. Members of the Commissioned Officer Corps of the Public Health Service (PHS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), as members of a uniformed service, are also eligible to receive Military Honors.
How is their eligibility for Military Honors established?
For NOAA personnel, eligibility is established using NOAA Form 56-16, Report of Transfer or Discharge. If the family does not have a copy of NOAA Form 56-16, it may be obtained by contacting the Chief, Officer Services Division, NOAA Commissioned Personnel Center at (301) 713-3453, ext. 102, or by writing:
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Commissioned Personnel Center
Chief, Officer Services Division (CPC1)
1315 East – West Highway, Room 12100
Silver Spring, MD 29010